Saturday, 13 December 2008

Discotech?!

The final render featured some weird flickering surfaces, possibly due to lighting or the camera clip plane. Still not sure what the main cause of the problem is, and hope to find out in the near future. Just a shame it was included in the final. On a positive note, learn by mistakes and avoid in the future.

Friday, 12 December 2008

The Final Film

Well everybody here it is. Our Movie! As you've all probably read in Josh's blog, the occlusion layer was nuked by the render farm. So we've had to do it without. With this in mind, we tried to make the editing as good as we could. I am a little disappointed about the occlusion, Sam is going to post some images of what the final movie should have looked like. Anyway, it is what it is. I would like to thank everybody in the whole class, who rallied around helping all the groups. I feel really happy about how well the whole year works together and helps each other.

The Marmalade gang thanks you.

Also a special thanks to Alex Hulse, Rob Jones and, of course, Jared

Happy Holidays everyone and see you in the new year!

In the words of my buddy and teammate Josh...

"INCREASE THE PEACE!"

Occlusion Layers


Some of the occlusion layers that rendered using the render farm. Gives a good idea of the exact scale.

What should have been...




These are some shots from the film, complete with occlusion layer. As you can see it adds more depth to the frames and a slight textured feel. It was a real same they didn't render, but this is a major lesson for the future.

Thursday, 11 December 2008

Rendering...again.

All was not well this morning. Neil and myself came in to find that camera 1 had not finished rendering, camera 2 had not moved at all from the day before, and camera 3 said it was finished but in fact had not rendered whole layers. After many discussions, we decided not to bother rendering in layers and to just rendering the whole scene. We set these up and sent them to the render farm. Meanwhile, we edited our ending credits which ended up looking very good. Astonishingly the rendering was complete and we imported it into after effects. Trying our luck, we decided to render an occlusion layer for everything. We've left it rendering over night. Hopefully everything is good tomorrow...fingers crossed (but only cross fingers in one hand because if you do two it cancels it out)!

Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Rendering...still.

What can I say. Yesterday we left some rendering in the render farm, and when I came into college I saw all three camera shots said 'Killed'. We pretty much spent the day trying and trying to render, and email Alex Hulse. Camera two is now rendering OK, but we are doing it locally rather than using the farm. We had a little bit of a problem with shots one and three as we could not open the files that have rendered. Then we found out that we rendered it with the wrong settings. So we set up a new batch of renders for shots one and three, and have left all of them rendering over night. Hopefully all is well in the morning...

Tuesday, 9 December 2008

Rendering.

Today the group started rendering. firstly we had to set up each shot with a separate file. Then we sorted out the layers between foreground mid ground and background, with a separate occlusion layer for each. We then, with the help of the magical Dan Shuffly B, sent it to the render farm. Here is where we started getting problems. Shot two rendered until 99% but then failed, however it missed out every other shot making it look really jumpy. Then shot one was 'killed', that's literally what it said. Then nothing happened with shot three. We waited for hours. Eventually we sent the files to the render farm again and have left it overnight. Hopefully all is well in the morning.